Cleveland State basketball kicks off the 2012-2013 season in Cleveland on November 9 against Grambling State. Expectations are that this year's Vikings team will try to match the performance of last year's. They lose 53% of last season's player minutes and hope to make that up with the efforts of four incoming freshmen.
The biggest gap for Cleveland State to fill will be from long-range, as the team lost 76% of their three-point shooting. That's followed by steals, where they drop another massive 60.2% from last season.
Cleveland State ended last season with a record of 22-9 overall and placed 2nd in the Horizon regular season with a conference record of 12-6. They were seeded 6th in the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) and wound up losing to Stanford, 76-65. Cleveland State will feel the loss of last year's seniors Trevon Harmon (30 minutes per game), D`Aundray Brown (29 MPG), Jeremy Montgomery (28 MPG), and Aaron Pogue (21 MPG). The Vikings will also miss Ike Nwamu (transferred to Mercer) and Josh Gottshall (2 MPG).
The Vikings bring back senior Tim Kamczyc (9.1 points/game), sophomore Anton Grady (1.4 blocked shots/game), sophomore Charlie Lee (2.2 assists/game), sophomore Sebastian Douglas (2.9 points/game), and sophomore Marlin Mason (3.7 points/game).
The Vikings get incoming freshmen including 6-2 Josh Ivory, 6-3 Bryn Forbes, 6-5 Junior Lomomba, and 6-9 Aaron Scales. The team also picks up 6-2 sophomore Trey Lewis (transferred from Penn State) and 6-5 junior Raphael Veira.
The Vikings schedule includes one game against an AP preseason Top 25 team, at #6 NC State on December 8th. The first Horizon game for Cleveland State is at Valparaiso on January 4th.
Tags: Trevon Harmon
- Cleveland State has had 2 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Cleveland State has an overall winning percentage of 48.2%. The Vikings have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 64.7%.
- The Vikings have an average conference finish of 2.4 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 5.2.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 176.1.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is NC State (#35).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Grambling State (#341).
, D`Aundray Brown
, Jeremy Montgomery
, Aaron Pogue
, Ike Nwamu
, Josh Gottshall
, Tim Kamczyc
, Anton Grady
, Charlie Lee
, Sebastian Douglas
, Marlin Mason
, Josh Ivory
, Bryn Forbes
, Junior Lomomba
, Aaron Scales
, Trey Lewis
, Raphael Veira